Jumat, 10 Jumadil Awwal 1434 / 22 Maret 2013
find us on : 
  Login |  Register

Egypt protesters torch buildings, target Suez Canal

Sunday, 10 March 2013, 12:00 WIB
Komentar : 0
Reuters/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
Protesters, who oppose Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi, face riot police during clashes along Qasr Al Nil bridge, which leads to Tahrir Square in Cairo March 9, 2013.

REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, PORT SAID - Egyptian protesters torched buildings in Cairo and tried unsuccessfully to disrupt international shipping on the Suez Canal, as a court ruling on a deadly soccer riot stoked rage in a country beset by worsening security.

The ruling enraged residents of Port Said, at the northern entrance of the Suez Canal, by confirming the death sentences imposed on 21 local soccer fans for their role in the riot last year, when more than 70 people were killed. But the court also angered rival fans in Cairo by acquitting a further 28 defendants whom they wanted punished, including seven members of the police force, reviled across society for its brutality under deposed autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

Security sources said two people, a man in his 30s and a young boy, had died in Cairo from the effects of tear gas and rubber bullets. A total of 65 people were injured.

Saturday's protests and violence underlined how Islamist President Mohamed Mursi is struggling - two years after Mubarak's overthrow - to maintain law and order at a time of economic and political crisis.

Islamist groups and parties backing Mursi warned against a looming security breakdown and called on their followers to form popular protection committees to guard the streets and public property should police fail to do so. The presidency said in a statement that the protests had not been peaceful and condemned violence against property. The cabinet issued a similar statement and called on Egyptians to unite and respect court rulings.

On Thursday, Egypt's election committee scrapped a timetable under which voting for the lower house of parliament should have begun next month, following a court ruling that threw the entire polling process into confusion.

The stadium riot took place last year at the end of a match in Port Said between the local side Al-Masry and Cairo's Al-Ahly team. Spectators were crushed when panicked crowds tried to escape from the stadium after a pitch invasion by Al-Masry supporters. Others fell or were thrown from terraces.

General unrest is rife as Egypt's poor suffer badly from the economic crisis. Foreign currency reserves have slid to critically low levels and are now little more than a third of what they were in the last days of Mubarak. The Egyptian pound has lost 14 percent against the dollar since the 2011 revolution and the budget deficit is soaring to unmanageable levels due to the cost of fuel and food subsidies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Redaktur : Yeyen Rostiyani
Sumber : Reuters
1.522 reads
Sesungguhnya Kami telah mengutus (Muhammad) dengan kebenaran; sebagai pembawa berita gembira dan pemberi peringatan, dan kamu tidak akan diminta (pertanggungjawaban) tentang penghuni-penghuni neraka. ((QS.Al-Baqarah [2]:119))
  Isi Komentar Anda
Komentar adalah tanggapan pribadi, tidak mewakili kebijakan redaksi republika.co.id. Redaksi berhak mengubah atau menghapus kata-kata yang tidak etis, kasar, berbau fitnah dan pelecehan, intimidasi, bertendensi suku, agama, ras, dan antar golongan. Setiap komentar sepenuhnya menjadi tanggung jawab pengirim.

Republika.co.id berhak untuk memberi peringatan dan atau menutup akses bagi pembaca yang melanggar ketentuan ini.
Silahkan login atau register untuk kirim komentar Anda

  VIDEO TERBARU
Geliat Perkembangan Muslim Cina
Pemerintah Komunis berencana untuk membangun masjid di seluruh negeri. Hal ini, merupakan implementasi guna memenuhi tuntutan 20-an juta warga Muslim di negeri itu.Menurut...